The beauty of our nation goes beyond the architectural marvels comprising royal palaces and holy temples. The varied seasons that we experience here impact our holiday destinations. There’s always a list of places waiting for a travel as per the climatic conditions, all thanks to the several wonderful choices available to explore. It’s the vacation time yet again and almost everyone is gearing up for an exciting trip with their loved ones. The northern part of India is currently suffering from scorching heat and it’s about time to hit the cooler parts. But let’s not reach the likes of Kullu, Manali or Mussoorie. Let’s head towards the road not taken.
Here’s a list of some offbeat destinations for your summer holiday plan.
1) Khajjiar, Himachal Pradesh
The season’s top grosser is undoubtedly the Switzerland of India, Khajjiar. Its raw beauty has the ability to sooth your soul. Khajjiar offers splendid views especially the one of the Mount Kailash. The lake located nearby also finds a number of visitors and is an ideal place for photography buffs.
- In order to reach, travellers can take a bus or hire a taxi from Dalhousie which is just 23 km from Khajjiar. Those taking the rail will have to drop by at Pathankot Railway Station and for the ones who prefer coming via air would be required to get down at the airport in Gaggal in Kangra.
- Hotels in Khajjiar are easily available. Try going for resorts and cottages located in the backdrop of nature.
- The summers are mildly cold and you might have to carry light woolens with you.
2) Horsley Hills, Andhra Pradesh
Surrounded by dense eucalyptus trees, Horsley Hills is a small yet pleasant summer hill resort in the Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh. The humble Nallamalai mountain range secures this spectacular location. It is named after W.D.Horsley, the Governor of the state during the British Raj.
- Apart from the Horsley Hills, explorers can go for the Kaundinya Wildlife Sanctuary and Mallamma Temple, both quite popular among the locals as well as tourists.
- The Malllamma Temple is a significant religious destination for the locals. Located on top of the Horsley Hills, this shrine is dedicated to Goddess Mallamma and can be visited till 7 p.m.
- Bangalore International Airport is the nearest airport whereas Madnapalle happens to be the nearest railway station from where local buses or taxi can be hired easily.
3) Chopta, Uttarakhand
A trekker’s paradise and a birdwatcher’s delight, Chopta is a small unexplored destination in Uttarakhand. Lose yourself amidst the alpine forests and a huge range of flora and fauna. And if that’s not enough, the view of the mountain ranges like Nanda Devi, Chaukhamba and Trishul will surely charm you like anything.
- The Chopta – Tungnath – Chandrashila trek is extremely popular among adventure lovers. Vacationers can also indulge in rock climbing and rappelling.
- Located in the district of Rudraprayag, Chopta can be easily reached via road from Gopeshwar that is approximately 26 km away.
- Summers are pleasant and you might have to carry light woolens with you. During winters, this land is covered with snow and looks no less than paradise.
4) Pachmarhi, Madhya Pradesh
Situated in the Satpura range, Pachmarhi is the only hill station in the state of Madhya Pradesh. Mainly occupied by the army, this location has been a cantonment since the times of the East India Company. This beautiful retreat has a number of glorious waterfalls to its credit alongwith a lot of cave paintings mostly Buddhist in origin.
- Sip a cup of tea and listen to the gurgling sound of the falls – That’s going to be your best time at Pachmarhi.
- A 2 hour drive from Jabalpur is all it takes to reach this exceptional land of beauty.
- Home to a variety of flora and fauna, Pachmarhi is said to have a big contribution towards wildlife conservation.
5) Kalimpong, West Bengal
Overlooking the Teesta River, Kalimpong is a hill station located close to the mesmerizing Darjeeling. It is a place that is ideal for both, couples as well as a group of friends. A lot of inhabitants come from Nepal and Bhutan origin.
- Apart from its majestic views, Kalipong is studded with Buddhist monasteries, beautiful churches and ancient temples.
- Nearest railways station is New Jalpaiguri from where local bus or a taxi can be hired.
- Galingka, Crockety and Teesta Bazaar are a few attractions that must be visited while in Kalimpong.