The phrase ‘Cleanliness is next to Godliness’ has finally become more than just an idea. On 2nd October, 2014, on the eve of Mahatma Gandhi’s 145th birth anniversary, PM Narendra Modi launched an important campaign ‘Swachh Bharat’ i.e. Clean India. The aim of this campaign is to make India one of the cleanest cities of the world in the next five years. This cleanliness campaign has become so popular that from a common man to bollywood celebrities, everyone is participating wholeheartedly. At the launch of the campaign, the PM said that cleaning should not be the sole responsibility of the workers or safai karamcharis. Everyone should feel responsible towards cleanliness and remember the pledge of the campaign “I will not litter or allow anyone to litter.”
The PM himself started the campaign by walking from Rajpath to Valmiki colony and cleaning a small area in the colony of sanitation workers in the company of party colleagues and officials. Keeping in mind the importance of social media, the PM also started a social media campaigning by asking 9 people to come forward and start cleaning an area and upload their video or pictures on social media. These 9 people will then ask another 9 people to take up the challenge, which will continue, thereby creating a viral campaigning. The PM has invited Mridula Sinha, Priyanka Chopra, Shashi Tharoor, Salman Khan, Sachin Tendulkar, Anil Ambani, Kamal Haasan, Baba Ramdev and the entire team of Taraak Mehta Ka Ulta Chasma to take part in this cleanliness drive through social media. Let’s have a look at some of the nominated celebrities who have accepted the challenge:
1. Kamal Hassan: On his 60th birthday today, Kamal Hassan launched the cleaning of Madhambakkam lake in Chennai. He’ll clean the lake with the volunteers of his ‘Narpani Iyakkam’ (Welfare Club), which has announced that it will adopt and clean 25 lakes in Tamil Nadu.
2. Amitabh Bachchan: Superstar Amitabh Bachchan picked up the broom on 29th October and swept streets in Mumbai and shared the pics of his participation in the nationwide cleanliness drive on Twitter. He was nominated by industrialist Anil Ambani to participate in the campaign.
3. Salman Khan: Salman Khan initiated a clean-up drive in Karjat on 21 October 2014 and shared pictures of himself along with his team, including actor Neil Nitin Mukesh, sweeping and cleaning up the area.
4. Sachin Tendulkar: Cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar swept a road in Mumbai with a broom in hand on 5 October 2014.
5. Anil Ambani: Reliance Group chairman Anil Ambani picked up the broom to clean an area outside Church Gate station on 8 October 2014.
6. Hrithik Roshan: Nominated by Anil Ambani, actor Hrithik Roshan along with a group of people, cleaned garbage at a street in Juhu in Mumbai on 26 October 2014 and shared his experience on Twitter. He wrote, “Went around talking learning and informing residents, watchmen and workers about better ways to keep our society clean”.
Let’s work towards making India a clean and beautiful country. Join the campaign and follow the celebrities by nominating your family members and friends.